Aug. 15: John Fitch Monument Gets Hosed Down
Five things to get your day started.
- Erik Fleischer, president of the Craven Hall Historical Society, used a power-washer over the weekend to give the John Fitch monument a proper cleaning. The monument was recently moved from its longtime perch on the corner of Street and York roads to the grounds of Craven Hall and the John Fitch Steamboat Museum.
- We've started a new contest! This time, we want to know what you did this summer. Post pictures here, and the winner will earn a $50 gift card and a back-to-school package.
- A chance of more rain and thunderstorms today, with a high near 85, according to the National Weather Service.
- More than $60,000 worth of computers and personal items have been stolen from the Palo Alto, California, home of the late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, CNN reports. Kariem McFarlin, 35, of Alameda was arrested and charged with residential burglary and selling stolen property, according to Scott Tsui, supervising deputy district attorney for Santa Clara County.
- On this day, August 15, 1483, Pope Sixtus IV consecrates the Sistine Chapel.