Five Things for February 21
What's going on around town today.
- Mardi Gras begins today, marking the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent.
- The Centennial Finance Committee meets tonight at 7 p.m. at the district administration building.
- It's going to get cloudy today, with a high near 49, according to the National Weather Service.
- Oil prices rose Monday after Iran cut exports to Britain and France, raising worries that higher gas prices may follow suit, CNN reports. Iran's oil ministry said Sunday that it would stop exporting oil to French and British companies. The announcement came just days after Iran threatened to cut supplies to some European Union countries in retaliation for sanctions put in place by the EU and United States.
- On this day, February 21, 1878, the first telephone book is issued in New Haven, Connecticut.