Five Things for June 8
What's going on around town today.
- William Tennent hosts its annual Mr. Tennent competition tonight at 7 p.m. An Alex's Lemonade Stand will be setup during the event to collect donations that support research into childhood cancer.
- Spaces are still available in the Warminster Summer Basketball Program. Players in third through eighth grades are encouraged to join the teams for $50, which covers referee fees and t-shirts. The season starts on June 26 and runs until Aug. 9, consisting of seven games.
- Mostly sunny today, with a chance of more showers and a high near 82, according to the National Weather Service.
- This spring was the warmest on record across the contiguous U.S., scientists reported to NBC News Thursday. On top of that, spring was 5.2 degrees warmer than average -- the largest temperature variance for any season on record.
- On this day, June 8, 1949, George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four is published.