Five Things for October 10
What's going on around town today.
- The Warminster Zoning Board meets tonight at 7 p.m. at the township administration building.
- Archbishop Wood's field hockey team takes on Archbishop Ryan in a home game at 3:45 p.m.
- Cold and rainy in the morning, with the weather giving way to a cloudy afternoon and a high near 70, according to the National Weather Service.
- A skydiver's historic free-fall from the stratosphere was called off Tuesday due to wind gusts that ruined the helium balloon set to hoist him to high altitude for the record-breaking attempt, CNN reports. Felix Baumgartner is aiming to jump from a higher altitude than anyone ever has -- 120,000 feet (about 23 miles), more than three times the cruising altitude of the average airliner -- with nothing but a space suit, helmet and parachute.
- On this day, October 10, 1913, President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.