- Archbishop Wood's Jeff McDonald has been named a winner of the National Liberty Museum's Young Heroes Award for his perseverance following a leg amputation and his efforts to raise money to help other kids in need of prosthetic limbs. He and the other winners will be honored at a ceremony at the museum in Philadelphia later today.
- We've started a new contest! This time, we want to know what you did this summer. , and the winner will earn a $50 gift card and a back-to-school package.
- It's going to be yet another hot one today, with highs approaching 90, according to the National Weather Service.
- The U.S. government said it will stop issuing permits for new nuclear power plants and license extensions for existing facilities until it resolves issues around storing radioactive waste, CNN reports. The government's main watchdog, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, believes that current storage plans are safe and achievable. But a federal court told CNN that the NRC didn't detail what the environmental consequences would be if the agency is wrong.
- On this day, Aug. 9, 1892, Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something